When the balance of teeth in gum in a person’s smile tilts heavily towards the gummy side, it not uncommon for them to learn to smile without parting their lips. A gummy smile can be a constant source of insecurity. Instead of learning to live with it, a dentist can help you move on without it. Take a look at one of the ways a cosmetic dentist can treat your gummy smile so that your teeth don’t have to share the spotlight with your gums when you smile.
Aesthetic Crown Lengthening
The overgrowth of gum tissues can cause the gums to cover more of the teeth’s surface than normal. This overgrowth is often caused by gum disease, but a number of other conditions can be the cause of excess gum tissue – such as chronic health issues, systemic health issues, certain prescription medications and more.
However, not all gummy smiles are caused by gum overgrowth. In other cases, some or all of the teeth are abnormally short. In other cases, the lips are positioned higher or lower than normal.
An aesthetic crown lengthening procedure repositions and recontours gum tissues and even small amounts of bone to adjust the height of the gums.
Here’s an overview of how the aesthetic crown lengthening procedure:
- You’ll be given a shot of a local anesthetic, which will numb the area of your mouth that will be treated.
- Your dentist will access the bone supporting the teeth being treated, as well as the roots of the teeth.
- The bone or the roots of the teeth may be recontoured, or some of the bone may be removed.
- The gums will be recontoured and stitched back into place.
- You take your first look into the mirror at your new, improved smile.
Talk with a Cosmetic Dentist in Van Nuys, CA Take a moment to schedule a consultation with a cosmetic dentist in Van Nuys, CA to learn more about your options for treating a gummy smile and well other cosmetic dental procedures that can elevate your smile.